free access News

Family room occupancy rises

Multi-generational holidays are growing in popularity allowing extended families to spend time together, according to a survey published this month, which found that 15% of UK travellers now go on holiday in multi-generational family groups.

The survey, commissioned by hotel, spa and inn group House of Daniel Thwaites, also revealed that 55% consider such holidays offer the chance for grandparents to spend time with grandchildren they don’t often see, with 45% saying it allowed families who live further apart the chance to come together.

Other reasons for the increasing popularity of multi-generation holidays included providing a better spread of childcare while on holiday, allowing parents to have more of a break as well as giving grandparents, who are generally more active, the opportunity to travel and share experiences with the wider family. Keeping the costs of holidays down was the sixth most popular reason given, revealing that spending quality time together is more important than saving money.

When asked what they would look for when booking a multi-generation holiday, the top five features were a great location with lots to do (67%), great facilities for all age groups (65%), a choice of dining options (43%), a range of accommodation in one location (40%), and family or interconnecting room (26%).

The survey asked parents and grandparents, who holiday with children, what type of rooms they prefer. For those parents travelling with children under 12 years old, 67% look for a family room, this drops to 18% when staying with children over 12 years old. Interconnecting rooms would be chosen by 40% of those with under 12s and just 7% would opt for separate rooms nearby. Parents with older children are happy with a bit more space with 60% preferring interconnecting rooms and 36% happy with separate rooms nearby.  For grandparents, 55% prefer family rooms if the children are under 12, with 45% choosing interconnecting rooms and just 12% separate rooms nearby. However, for over 12s, 62% opt for interconnecting rooms, 34% for separate rooms nearby and 18% would select a family room. Chris Hill, hotels operations director at the House of Daniel Thwaites, said: “We are seeing more extended family groups holidaying together leading to the rise in requests for family and interconnecting rooms.”


By Dominic Johnson

Publisher, contact about all commercial enquiries.

Latest Issue of Luxury BnB Magazine

For owners & managers of B&bs, Inns, Guest Houses, Boutique Hotels & Holiday Lets.

Featuring in this next issue...

  • The Pheasant Hotel
  • Craigmount B&B
  • The Whittling House
  • News: Industry News and Analysis
  • Karen’s Column: Handling reviews and negative comments
  • Q&A with Tina the Tiny Troubleshooter
  • LBNB 2021 Awards Shortlist
  • Chapter 1B of LBNB EBook: Getting Started in Holiday Rentals
Buy Now DIGITAL ISSUE Read online

free access